You’re nearing the big day and the groomsmen have got everything sorted. Suits; check. Speeches; check. Transport; check. BUT it’s Movember and they’re all looking like Billy Goats Gruff rather than Disney’s Prince Charming’s.
So, we’ve taken it into our own hands to compile a guide to facial styling and products for you and your groomsmen, should your big day fall in November.
Firstly, we’ll run through some facial grooming styles. Then, we’ll highlight the best grooming products as awarded by GQ at the official GQ Grooming Awards 2016 and lastly, we’ve provided you with expert tips and advice on how to maintain your facial hair.
Image courtesy of www.leclubdesdouze.com
Before looking into how to maintain your moustache or beard, it’s important to know which style is best suited to you. This really isn’t a case of picking out which one you prefer as not all styles will suit everybody. Naturally, you will have a particular thickness and texture to your moustache which is individual to yourself, in which case it’s all about styling what you already have. The same applies to your hair. The best way to do this would be to go to your local barber for a quick consultation and they’ll be able to identify the type of moustache you have. Until then we’ve given you a few general guidelines to put you on the right track.
If you have a:
- Long face: Keep it wide. If you have a longish face, a wide moustache would look best on you, as you are instantly drawing away attention from the lower half of your face. Those with a long narrow face would also assume going for a long beard, but this shouldn’t be so. If you have a long face, you should go for a shorter trimmed beard, keeping the hair on your chin to a minimum length. This keeps your face in shape and avoids elongating your face even more.
- Round face: Get a goatee. If you have a round face you should avoid going for the fuller moustache and beard especially with side burns as you’ll look three stone heavier! A definite no. Instead, choose a goatee that doesn’t extend from the corners of your mouth, it will add shape to your face and slightly elongate it, still keeping your rounded shaped face. The perfect goatee is where the moustache and beard meet.
- Square face: For those with a defined jaw line, go for a square shaped moustache as this look will complement your face, for an all over neater appearance. Alternatively, choose an all over beard, making sure it’s clipped close to the face as this will soften the jaw line rather than defining it with a moustache.
*Our top tip to prep the best facial hair is to make sure you have grown your hair out as much as possible before approaching the barber or attempting to style it from home. This way it will grow out to its natural length and look neater when it comes to styling. You don’t have to grow it out until its werewolf length, but just longer than what you usually would! It might look ungroomed at first but it’s the only option you have in order to sculpt it to perfection in the long run.
Take a look at the guide below to look at the different styles in closer detail.
If you’ve been forced by the wife-to-be to say no to the mo, then we advise taking it all off and sticking to a clean shaven you. Alternatively, if you don’t feel comfortable going bare with no hair, then grow a small amount of stubble around the beard area and keep it nice and trim in time for the big day.
So now you have an idea of what styles are out there, it’s now time to check out what products you will need to fill your bathroom cabinet with for the new neater you.
And of course, we wouldn’t advise anything less than the best as we take you through the official GQ 2016 Grooming Awards to highlight the winning products for facial styling available now.
GQ 2016 Best Shaving Products Winners
Best Post-Shave Balm:
Image courtesy of www.boots.com
Dove Men + Care Post Shave Balm Hydrate - £5.79 for 100ml at Superdrug Stores
Great Value for money and hydrating to skin
Image courtesy of www.dadblogsabout.com
Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Flexball - £12.99 at Boots Stores
Flexible, comfortable and precise
Best Shaving Gel:
Image courtesy of www.escentual.com
Acqua Di Parma - Collezione Barbiere Shaving Gel - £24 for 150 ml at acquadiparma.com
A masculine fragrance and no burns
Best New Fragrance:
Image courtesy of www.dior.com
Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne - £67.50 for 100 ml at Dior
Fresh and Clean
Best Skincare Range:
Image courtesy of www.healthchemist.co.nz
L’oreal Men Expert Vita lift 5 Moisturiser - £9.99 for 50ml
A great range of products
Best New Moisturiser:
Image courtesy of blog.houseoffraser.co.uk
SisleYouth by Sisley - £118 for 40ml at Sisley
Moisturising and anti-ageing
The Editor's Choice Award
Image courtesy of www.boots.com
Winner: Remington Vacuum 5-in-1 Grooming kit - £49.99 at Boots
"With its powerful vacuum that cuts down on mess, sleek looks and excellent performance, this ingenious multi-use body trimmer has become an essential piece of kit in the GQ wash bag."
So now that you have a rough idea of what style to go for and which products to get, here are some expert tips for maintaining that all important fuzz.
- Maintaining your moustache/beard is just as important as maintaining your hair so make sure you wash it at least once a week and no more than once a day as this will dry it out. Use shampoo and conditioner for hydration
- Use moisturiser or hair oil to help keep it shiny and nourished. We recommend hair oil as it provides the hair with natural vitamins a moisturiser may not be able to give it
- Invest in a pair of trimmers. These are an essential for any gentleman’s toiletry bag
- Scissors are good for trimming split ends without changing shape of your style rather than a razor
- Follow a healthy diet. Believe it or not our diet has a major impact on our hair. We’re not asking you to go all health freak but bear in mind that a good diet is key to keeping that goatee glossy. Fish and vitamins each provide the right amount of goodness
- Hair loss? Not yet! Avoid playing with your facial hair to decrease the chances of hair loss. No bald patches here thank you.
Image courtesy of www.flickr.com
So now you’ve got these three steps sorted, you can impress your belle of the ball by going from beast to prince in no time! Share with the groomsmen and enjoy the newly defined you. Bye Bye Movember.