When you’re planning a summer wedding, you always dream of the perfect sunny day. However, when the temperature starts soaring, you need to think about keeping cool. Here are our unmissable summer wedding tips to make sure your big day is a truly chilled affair.
Your ‘Plan B’ for summer weddings
Wedding day contingency plans usually involve deciding what you’ll do if it rains and you can’t get outside. But during the summer, it’s just as important to think about changing your plans in the heat. These are the coolest summer wedding ideas around:
1. Make sure that there’s plenty of seating in the shade for your drinks reception.
2. Ask your venue about options for drinks – beer buckets, cool cocktails and fabulously refreshing soft beverages will all be very popular.
Image courtesy of Jacquelyn Clark
3. Speak to your photographer about locations for group and couple’s photos so you can be sure you won’t be stood in the sun for a long time.
4. Consider using a pretty parasol to provide shade wherever you go.
Image courtesy of Kay English Photography
5. Fans that double as orders of the day work really well at summer weddings.
Image courtesy of Paper And Lace
Keeping your bridal cool
Weddings dresses can be hot and wedding days can be especially tiring in the heat. Here are some of our top tips to help you maintain your bridal cool all day long:
1. Speak to your hair and makeup artist to make sure that you look is as heatproof as possible. Ask if they can provide you with some products so that you can touch up your makeup as and when you need.
Image courtesy of Jesy Alaaguer
2. A big floor standing fan can help you keep cool as you’re getting ready. This could be a must if you’re going to be sat under a hairdryer for a while on a hot day.
3. Stay hydrated. It’s absolutely vital to keep sipping soft drinks right through the day. Use a straw to avoid any lipstick issues!
Image courtesy of Pretty Collected
4. Invest in some reliable non-marking sunscreen and deodorant before the wedding and test them both so you can be sure they work well. On the day, apply plenty of both!
Image courtesy of Ann Kathrin Photography
5. Your feet will always swell in hot weather. Spend some time before your wedding breaking your shoes in thoroughly and consider buying some pretty flats or sandals for the evening party.
Image courtesy of Kamp Photography
6. Grooms – don’t feel that you have to keep your jacket on all day! The ceremony and the photos might require your smartest look but it’s far more important that you’re cool and comfortable so ditch the jacket whenever you like. It’s also worth remembering that some older guests might not remove their own jackets until you remove yours so you’ll be doing everyone a good turn!
Image courtesy of Rivkah Photography
Guests at summer weddings
If you’re feeling the heat, it’s highly likely that you guests will be too. High temperatures affect everyone in different ways but these are some of the wedding guests who’ll need a little extra thought:
1. Elderly, pregnant and poorly guests: ask groomsmen to make sure there’s always a shady seat to hand. Keep these guests well supplied with cool drinks and check their dietary requirements in advance.
Image courtesy of Style Me Pretty
2. Families with babies and small children: again, shade is going to be essential but these guests might also need a cool place to feed and change their little ones and even some refrigerator space for baby milks or food.
Image courtesy of Studio 1208
Lastly, make sure that you enjoy your summer wedding. Layer on the sunscreen (and maybe the insect repellent!) and enjoy and unforgettable day with your family and friends. Congratulations – your wedding is officially hot!
If you’re still searching for your venue, then take a look at these spectacular suggestions for outdoor wedding venues and start planning your dream day.