The best art deco wedding cakes are real showstoppers. They’re big, bold and absolutely unmissable. We love designs that include a whole range of design details and styling cues from the 1920s and combine them to create a cake with real wow factor. The art deco era was full of exuberance so these wedding cakes should never just have plain white icing!
Of course, however amazing your wedding cake looks, it needs to be delicious too. Mix up flavours in the various layers and don’t forget to taste before you order.
1. Mix the shapes of the cake layers – sit square cakes on top of round tiers.
Image Courtesy of Lauren Scotti Photography
2. Include lots of deco-inspired shapes - fans are particularly popular.
Image Courtesy of Elysia Root Cakes
3. Decorate cakes with feathers.
Image Courtesy of Elizabeth Cake Emporium
4. Fringed icing looks amazing and looks like a tasseled, flapper-style dress.
Image Courtesy of Lauryn Alisa Photography
5. Art deco wedding cakes with gold accents are so luxurious.
Image Courtesy of Sweet Avenue Cakery
6. Green and white is a classic colour combination for art deco weddings.
Image Courtesy of Studio Castillero
7. If you’re feeling bold, bring some black into your wedding cake design.
Image Courtesy of Wedding Cakes
8. The art deco era loved jewellery so why not use some to accessorise your wedding cake?
Image Courtesy of Suzanne Esper Cakes
9. Add an iced monogram to your cake in an art deco inspired font.
Image Courtesy of Daisy Molly and Me
10. If you’d like to soften the look of your cake, a few oversized flowers can work wonders.
Image Courtesy of Wedding Ideas
11. To bring a modern touch to your art deco wedding, opt for a cake that combines on-trend watercolours with art deco styling.
Image Courtesy of Olofson Design
12. Super extravagant details add a touch of Gatsby glamour to a plain cake.
Image Courtesy of Polkawolf and Magpie
13. A hand-painted wedding cake inspired by 1920s art will be a true masterpiece.
Image Courtesy of Brides
14. Pale pinks and light greens give a truly feminine art deco flair to your cake.
Image Courtesy of Pepper Nix Photography
15. For maximum impact, add in more tiers – four or five if you’re feeling brave.
Image Courtesy of Scattercake
16. Add an art deco cake topper to a plain cake for a hint of the 1920s.
Image Courtesy of Funky Laser
17. Bring art deco up to date with geometric and detailed patterns.
Image Courtesy of Claire’s Cakery
18. Mirror the embellishments on your dress with jewels on your wedding cake.
Image Courtesy of Unique Cakes by Yevnig
19. Peacock tones and feathers always evoke Gatsby glamour.
Image Courtesy of Panache Cake Designs
20. Pretty pastels can also work well – combine them with golden touches.
Image Courtesy of Superfine Bakery
21. Combine different shapes and angles on your art deco wedding cake.
Image Courtesy of C M Elle Studios
22. Use a different colour on each tier of your wedding cake for an impressive effect.
Image Courtesy of Wedding Site
23. A monochrome design is always effortlessly chic.
Image Courtesy of Donna Jane Cakes
24. Take inspiration from art deco artists and add stylized characters to your wedding cake.
Image Courtesy of Cookie Connection
25. Sit your wedding cake on a glamorous cake stand – use a shape that mirrors the bottom tier.
Image Courtesy of Zoe Clark Cakes
26. Add lots of art deco props to your wedding table.
Image Courtesy of SMS Photography
27. Commission a cake topper with your new married name in a 1920s font.
Image Courtesy of Peach Plum Pear Photography
28. For something different, hexagonal layers work wonderfully.
Image Courtesy of Lael Cakes