Oh summer, we do love you so! These beautiful months are the perfect time for a fabulous wedding and if you’re planning a high-summer celebration, you’ve got so many great options for styling your wedding. For the ultimate inspiration, here’s our pick of the very best summer wedding themes.
A festival summer wedding theme
Summer always means festivals and if you’re a music lover or just a fan of the laid back vibe then this is the wedding theme for you. Create your own ‘Wedstock’ festival and make sure your guests are on the VIP list with these must-have summer wedding ideas:
• Festival style food – speak to your venue to make sure that the food at your wedding totally reflect the mood. Think about street food stalls, sharing platters and hearty canapés to fuel an evening on the dancefloor. Craft beers or local ciders would be perfect drinks too.
Image courtesy of The Idea Room
• Decorations – every festival needs flags so whether you go for large banners or scaled-down versions on your tables, these are essential! JessicaWhitneyPhotography.jpg Image courtesy of Jessica Whitney Photography Trailing ribbons hung from trees or chairs also capture this easy-breezy style and are a great wedding DIY.
Image courtesy of Dasha Caffrey
• Invitations – ticket-style invitations will set the scene for your guests from the word go and get them super excited about the upcoming event.
Image courtesy of Wedfest
• Signs – every festival needs some cool signage to make sure everyone’s in the right place at the right time so create your own wedding sign for your big day. You won’t want guests to miss the headline act!
Image courtesy of Rose Jane Photography
• More festival must-haves – there are endless ideas for a fab festival wedding. We love personalised wedding wristbands, great music, chill-out areas and, of course, temporary glitter tattoos!
Image courtesy of Amy & Stuart Photography
Image courtesy of Wedfest
Image courtesy of Emilie Rose
English summer wedding themes
English summers really are special. The days are long, the surroundings are beautiful and your venue will be looking wonderful. Make the most of the summer with an outdoor wedding theme to suit your setting. Including all the iconic elements of an English summer in your day will work wonderfully, whatever venue you choose.
• Food and drink – nothing says summer quite like Pimms, a traditional afternoon tea or a glorious bbq! Serve up the tastiest treats to your guests and don’t forget plenty of cups of tea, English fizz or locally produced fruit cordials for non-drinkers and designated drivers. An ice-cream cart is always a fab idea too!
Image courtesy of Amy’s vintage Teas
• Flowers – summer flowers really are delightful so speak to your florist and include lots of seasonal blooms. You can also use grasses and seed heads for a romantic look or cute props if this suits your wedding style.
Image courtesy of Hannah Dornford May Photography
• Fun and games – A summer wedding just wouldn’t be complete without lawn games! How about croquet or giant Jenga? Or giant chess, Connect 4 or a homemade Ring Toss game? If you’d like something a little more active, old style school sports day games are always popular or go all out and bring in some fairground rides!
Image courtesy of Paul Joseph Photography
• Entertainment – As well as games, you definitely need some great entertainment to create the right atmosphere. Live music is always a winner and a string quartet is always an elegant option. For less formal event, a country or folk ensemble would be great and, if you want to relive your schooldays, why not try a barn-dance band complete with caller to teach all your guests some moves?
Image courtesy of Jackson & Co Photography
• The finishing touches – The finishing touches really do make all the difference so don’t forget the bunting, cake decorated with summer fruits, milk churns, garden accessories and beautiful lighting for the evening.
Image courtesy of Bluebirds Bakehouse
Image courtesy of Paul Willetts Photography
More summer wedding ideas
Of course there are so many more summer wedding ideas so here’s a quick rundown of some more themes that we love:
• Seaside – bring out the deckchairs, the pastel stripes, the fish and chip cones and the candy floss for a really fun wedding.
Image courtesy of Studio Rouge
• Watercolours – a soft watercolour themed summer wedding will be all kinds of elegant and you can choose any colour palette that you like.
Image courtesy of Sugar Bee Sweets
• Summer sports – whether you love Ascot, Henley or Wimbledon, you can include your favourite summer sports in your wedding and base your theme around your choice. A guaranteed winner!
Image courtesy of Squire Fox
• Boho – always popular, Boho weddings are perfect in summer. Kick-off your shoes, put on that flower crown and just relax…
Image courtesy of Jess Petrie Photography
If our look at summer wedding themes has set you dreaming about celebrating outdoors in the sun, then take a look at How To Get That Glorious Garden Wedding Theme that’s full of even more ideas.