‘Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue’ – it’s the most famous wedding rhyme around and following it is said to bring you lots of luck on your big day and beyond. If you’re wondering what to include as your something blue, we’re here to help with the very best something blue ideas that you’re sure to love. We’ve even included a few quirky something blue ideas that are great for guys as well so read on…
1. Blue ribbons for your bouquet are a fabulous touch but why not make them even more special? Ask your partner or friends for words that describe you best and then have these embroidered onto the ribbons themselves.
Image Courtesy of Megan Welker
2. Make your own charm pin and include all your chosen pieces in one place! Add your old, new, borrowed and blue items to your pin and attach it to your dress for luck.
Image Courtesy of Something Turquoise
3. Grooms don’t have to miss out on this wedding tradition so give him a personal message that he attach to his tie.
Image Courtesy of Mamooby
4. Your something blue doesn’t have to make a big statement and it definitely doesn’t have to be complicated. Add a simple blue bow to the underskirts of your dress and feel extra lucky!
Images Courtesy of James Moes
5. Another way to add a subtle something blue to your bridal ensemble is to personalise the zip of your gown. Attach some blue sparkles or a favourite piece of blue jewellery.
Image Courtesy of Table4 Weddings
6. Take an old blue shirt, cut out a little heart shape and stitch it into the inside of your dress for a truly adorable something blue. If you want, you could even use a shirt that belonged to someone special for a little extra meaning.
image Courtesy of Luved Photography
7. If you think you might get a little bit emotional on your wedding day, you’ll definitely need a pretty handkerchief to hand. Embroider this with your names and wedding date or a sweet message.
Image Courtesy of Erin Paris
8. Blue wedding shoes are one of the most popular something blue ideas around and when you can wear shoes that are this pretty, why wouldn’t you try this?
Image Courtesy of Susan Elizabeth Weddings
9. If a blue shoe doesn’t appeal, why not opt for a blue lining instead? This is a really subtle way of including your something blue and don’t forget the ‘silver sixpence in your shoe’ too!
Image Courtesy of Bella Belle Shoes
10. Garters are still very popular with brides and a beautiful blue garter can look absolutely amazing. You could even include heirloom lace for your ‘something old’ if you like.
Image Courtesy of Tania Maras
11. If you’re exchanging wedding rings during your ceremony, why not keep them in a beautiful blue ring box? That’s got to be super lucky!
Image Courtesy of Katie Stoops Photography
12. A blue hair pin or two can be easily tucked into your wedding day hairstyle, even if you’re wearing another headpiece. This is an incredibly easy way to include your something blue and you could even gift similar pins to your bridesmaids for them to wear on their own wedding day.
Image Courtesy of Made to be Personal
13. Another great idea for your groom and groomsmen is to add blue ribbon to their buttonholes. This could match the ribbons on your bouquet for a really coordinated look.
Image Courtesy of Sarah Hannam
14. For a great pop of colour, why not add a blue underskirt to your wedding dress? A pretty tulle petticoat will give your gown lots of body and movement and it’s a fabulous quirky something blue idea too.
Image Courtesy of En Pointe Photography
15. Some soft blue jewellery is always a good idea and you’ll be sure to wear your gorgeous earrings after your wedding.
Image Courtesy of Petite Delights
16. Add a statement sash to your gown to define your waist and include your something blue in your outfit in a really feminine way.
Image Courtesy of Etsy
17. For the ultimate something blue, a beautiful blue wedding dress would be our choice. Coloured gowns are becoming more and more popular and it’s easy to see why when they look this good.
Image Courtesy of Laura Catherine Photo
If you’ve now fallen for blue in a big way or if you’ve including blue in your wedding colour palette, why not take a look at these brilliant ideas for blue wedding favours.