Just like life, wedding planning can sometimes be complicated. If you’re wondering whether you invite your ex to your wedding, you’re definitely not alone. To help you decide, we’re looking at the reasons to invite or not to invite right here. Take a little time out to carefully consider your options as we consider the question of exes at weddings.
Image Courtesy of Etsy
Inviting your ex
Inviting your ex can be a kind and generous thing to do but remember that this is your day and whatever you choose needs to be right for both you and your partner. Here are a few things to consider as you come to your decision:
- If you have children with your ex, inviting them can set a great example to your kids as long as your relationship is amicable. The experience needs to be a positive one for you all.
- If your relationship ended a long time ago and you’re all happy and comfortable with the current situation, an invitation is definitely ok. The person with whom you shared your first teenage kiss is definitely not on the same level as someone who you lived with!
- If you and your partner both spend time with your ex at other social events and occasions, inviting them to your wedding is the natural thing to do.
- If you partner has met your ex on several occasions and would like to have them at your day with everyone on friendly terms, it’s absolutely fine to send that invitation.
- If your relationship with your ex is respectful of you and your current relationships and there are absolutely no lingering romantic feelings on either side, feel free to invite them.
Image Courtesy of Gemma Williams Photography
Image Courtesy of Cotwolds Wedding Photography
Not inviting your ex
There are no rules that say you have to invite your ex to your wedding and you certainly shouldn’t rush to add your ex to your guest list if any of the following apply:
- If you’re not sure how your ex might react on your wedding day, not inviting them could well be the best thing. You don’t need to spend your day worried about what they might say or do.
- If your ex, however much you care for them, has a new partner who might find the occasion difficult, it might be best not to invite them to spare any awkwardness.
- If you or your partner aren’t absolutely comfortable with the thought of having an ex in attendance, don’t invite them. This needs to be a joint decision.
- If you don’t see your ex at any other time, don’t invite them to your wedding. It could end up causing you stress and remember that your guests should really be your ‘nearest and dearest’.
- If the prospect of having to explain who your ex is to other guests feels awkward now, don’t send that invitation. It will feel much more awkward on your wedding day.
- If you don’t want to, or don’t feel that you can, have an honest and frank conversation with your partner about your ex, don’t invite them. There shouldn’t be any secrets when you’re wedding planning.
Image Courtesy of Rachel Lily Photography
Image Courtesy of Catherine Regan Photography
With all of those pros and cons outlined, there’s only one answer to the question of exes at weddings. The best thing to do, as with everything in the wedding planning world, is exactly what you want. There are no rules and there’s definitely not a ‘correct thing’ to do. Choose the option that you both feel comfortable with because that will most definitely be right for you and that’s all that matters.
If you’d like to plan a truly personal celebration, take a look at these 12 wedding myths debunked and create your wedding day in your own way.