There’s no doubt about it, there are plenty of ways that you can save money on your wedding. However, there are definitely some areas of the day where you really shouldn’t try to cut costs. We’re taking a look at the elements of your big day where you should spend your cash and we’ll be sharing some great wedding tips too. These are the wedding budget ideas that you have to know about.
Image courtesy of Nikki Van der Molen
Wedding advice – where to spend
When you start planning, you’ll have plenty of wedding ideas for your big day. However, it’s easy to get carried away and blow your budget. The first thing to do is to look at your priorities for the day and then consider the really important elements of your wedding that deserve to have money spent on them. These tend to be the foundations of your day as well as the things that stay with you once the day is over.
1. Your Venue – this really is the most important part of your day. It sets the tone for your wedding, it needs to be able to accommodate all your guests and it needs to be a place that you love. Your venue should offer you all the elements that you want so you might be looking for accommodation, beautiful grounds or a wonderful location. Don’t compromise on your wedding venue, it’s far too important because it’s just such a huge part of your wedding.
Image courtesy of Paul Willetts Photography
2. Your Food & Drink – as this is an area that ALL of your guests will notice, don’t cut back too much here. If you serve your guests great food and drink, they’ll remember your wedding fondly forever and there’s nothing worse than people leaving hungry or being served food that’s not that great because that really is a waste of your money. Look for the best quality you can afford and make your food and drink a real focal point of your day.
Image courtesy of Storyett Photography
3. Your Photographer – your wedding photos stay with you for the rest of your lives so don’t try to cut costs on your photographer. Do your research and be sure to find out exactly what packages include so that you can compare prices accurately. Don’t forget to ask about travel and accommodation costs so that you know exactly what you’ll be spending. However, beautiful photography really is worth spending money on.
4. Your Rings – you’ll wear these every day after your wedding so make sure that you love your wedding ring. It’s not just a piece of jewellery, it’s a symbol of love and the vows and promises that you’ve made.
Image courtesy of Leah Lombardi Photography
5. Your Priorities – if you’ve talked about your priorities and you’ve decided that a bigger guest list is more important than flowers or that a great band is more important than a videographer, go for it. Your priorities are the things that you love so include them in your wedding. Yes, you might have to cut back in other areas to be able to have what you want but that’s ok, just make your wedding day yours.
Image courtesy of The Crawleys
Wedding tips – making your money go further
Of course, there are still ways to make your money go a little further when you’re booking the elements that we’ve talked about above. Here are some great wedding ideas that will make the most of your budget.
- Look at midweek or out-of-season weddings at your venue. These are often cheaper than Saturday weddings in the height of summer.
- If you can plan your wedding relatively quickly, look out for ‘last minute’ deals at venues. You’ll still have a few months to prepare but you could bag your dream venue for a whole lot less.
- Similarly, caterers often offer discounts for ‘last minute’ bookings too. You might be able to save on certain menus, evening food or drinks packages.
- If your photographer offers a cheaper package without an album, why not add gift vouchers from your photographer to your gift list? You can use these for your album or prints post-wedding.
- Jewellers often offer a discount on wedding rings if your engagement ring came from them. Even a 10% discount can save you quite a bit of cash so it’s definitely worth looking into.
- Some suppliers offer discounts if you book them at a wedding fair or even a certain times of year. Make sure that you keep an eye on supplier’s social media for any updates or offers.
For more great wedding budget ideas, take a look at these ways to save money on your wedding.