Wedding scents are set to be a big trend in 2019 so here’s our brilliant guide to making sure your wedding is perfumed to perfection.
2019 really is the year of standing out and one of the hottest trends for the forthcoming year has to be wedding scents. For a long time, brides have carefully chosen their wedding perfume but now, couples are taking things to a whole new level of olfactory brilliance. By scenting your entire wedding, you’ll be able to create and enhance the mood of the day. Read on as we explain everything you need to know about scenting a wedding.
Image courtesy of The Londoner
For some time now, brides and grooms have chosen a special scent to wear on their wedding day. Lots of people opt for a new scent so that it will always remind them of their big day whilst some prefer to stick with a scent that their partner already associates with them. Over the last few years, the concept of ‘layering’ has also become more popular and here, you use shower gel, body lotion and other products from your wedding scent’s range as you get ready for the day. The idea is that ‘layering’ your wedding perfume will make the aroma last right through the day.
Image courtesy of Brosnan Photographic
But why do so many couples put so much thought into their wedding day scent? Well, obviously you want to smell delectable but it goes much deeper than that. Your sense of smell is really closely linked to memory and recall so the theory goes that whenever you smell your wedding day perfume, you’ll fire up all those memories from the day itself. And it works – just think how you already associate certain smells with certain occasions so it’s obvious why lots of couple apply the same principle to their weddings.
Scenting a wedding
However, in recent years, things have been taken further. Couples can now take their favourite perfume and use it right through their wedding or use a different perfume in different parts of the day. Choosing the right scent for the right moment can really heighten the experience and, of course, it will all become part of the memories that everyone will have of you big day.
So, how can you bring scent to your wedding day? What do you need to think about and what works? Here’s our guide:
- Think about your personality when you choose your wedding day perfume. Are you a super feminine floral girl or does something fresher with a citrus tang appeal more? Take some time to select the scent that really suits you.
- Consider your partner’s scent too. For a fabulous scented wedding, both of your perfumes need to work together, particularly when you stand next to each other.
- Definitely consider layering your wedding perfume and keep a little bottle of your perfume to hand so that you can refresh your scent after your wedding breakfast. Don’t reapply before dinner otherwise it’ll affect the taste of your food.
- Think about blending perfumes to create a more individual scent. When you book a wedding perfume consultation with Jo Malone, you’ll learn which perfumes complement you and this might mean wearing two perfumes together for a personal twist.
Image courtesy of Razia Jukes Photography
- If you’d like your wedding perfume to include a secret message, choose a floral scent that includes orange blossom, a symbol of eternal love.
- Consider creating your wedding scent with flowers. Talk to your florist about working with scented blooms (and share details of your wedding day perfume so that you can be sure everything will work together).
Image courtesy of Jo Malone
- Scented candles are a great addition to your plans. Use them in your ceremony room to bring luxury and aroma to this part of your day. Use them sparingly during your wedding breakfast however so that the scent isn’t competing with the flavours of the food. Remember that you can mix scented and non-scented candles together so that the smell doesn’t become too overpowering.
Image courtesy of Razia Jukes Photography
- Make your own petal confetti and add some scent. Not only will the scent of your confetti delight your guests, it will also smell (and look) fantastic in the confetti shot!
- If you want to make sure that your wedding venue is fully scented, consider using an intelligent dry air diffuser that will perfume your venue to perfection.
- Think about the details – scented candles at the entrance to your venue will give a great welcome to guests. Also, another scented candles in the guest bathrooms is a lovely and luxurious touch.
- Give guests a hint of scent even before your big day – just give your invitations a quick spritz before sending them out.
- Let your guests take your wedding scent home at the end of the night by gifting mini scented candles as beautiful wedding favours.
Image courtesy of Hopscotch
- Finally, remember that there’s a fine line between ‘just enough’ and ‘way too much’. Aim for a delicate, long-lasting scent right through your day rather than individual moments of overpowering aroma. You want guests to be aware of your wedding perfume along with all the other gorgeous details of your day.
To find out what else is on our list of must-have wedding ideas for the year, take a look at our edit of the stand out trends for 2019.